1. Vintage photographs



I'm not sure when it started but I have quite the collection of vintage photographs. I have boxes and albums of photos I've amassed over the years.  Jen and I love going to flea markets and sitting for ages just looking through suitcases full of old pictures. Some are blurry and some are boring and some can kinda scare you. But every so often you will come across one that just speaks to you.  There is so much inspiration to be found in vintage photography and fashion.  This is one of my favorite vintage photographs from 1915. It's from the film "Carmen", based on the opera, and I wish so much that I owned a real copy of it.  -Annalise-


2. Rue Magazine


The third issue of Rue magazine is out now and it's full of great articles and amazing photo spreads on home decorating, party throwing and beautiful living. There is so much inspiration to be found within the "pages" of Rue magazine. I know many of us cried when Domino magazine stopped being published. Well, dry your eyes because Rue might be your next best friend. And I love that they have past issues available for more eye candy viewing. Hope you like it as much as I do. -Annalise-


3. Lonesome Dove

I'm not the type of girl to be drawn to a Western book or film (which is strange since I have a deep love for cowboy boots and southwestern prints). But my mother had given me the book Lonesome Dove for my birthday and said it was great. Well, she was right...once I started it I couldn't put it down!  I fell in love with all the characters and really felt like I was with them on their epic journey from Texas to Montana. One of the only women characters in the book is Lorena the whore. I found this picture online of Diane Lane as Lorena, and while I didn't LOVE the mini series (a little too cheesy) I think this photo is great! Look at those boots and the print of the dress is just darling. -Annalise-

4. TBA Edwardian Dresses

Designer Binbin McNevin launched TBA (to be adored) in 2009. Their Edwardian inspired dresses reminds me of adorable frocks that children would wear to a fancy tea party. Their muted colors, peter pan collars, and lace detailing is perfect for the Spring. I am saving my pennies to purchase one of these dresses so I can wear it to a garden soiree. I would definitely bring my parasol and shiniest shoes to the occasion. -Jenny-


5. Dorthea Lange


Dorthea Lange was an influential photographer who is best known for her Depression-era work for the Farm Security Administration. Unlike other photographers of the era, Lange's work humanized the tragic consequences of the Great Depression. Her work has the uncanny ability to capture raw emotion in the everyday lived experiences of her subjects. This photograph in particular is one of my favorites. Shot in 1937, it powerfully conveys the despondency of this young woman. Her work is an endless source of inspiration. -Jenny-

5. Alela Diane and Mariee Sioux


Alela Diane and Mariee Sioux are two of my favorite new folk musicians. Both magically weave evocative bits of each season into their songs. Their lyrics are playful yet honest. Alela helped out on some of Mariee Sioux's tracks (and the influence is wonderfully noticeable). Their music offers a much needed respite from my hectic life in San Francisco. -Jenny-





3 comments:

Rachel :

Oh, how I wish I could afford a TBA dress. :'D

elanor, :

that first vintage photo is absolutely amazing. great inspiration here!

x

Charmalade :

Please, I'm more than happy commenting on your blog. I especially really like how you showcase your current favorites, it's fun and insightful. And thanks for letting the leggings 'pass,' haha. :D

Toast with Charmalade