Anne of Green Gables

 

I was so excited when I found this beautiful blouse at one of my new favorite vintage stores, Minxy. I was just walking past the store on my way back from coffee and had to stop in. I'm so glad that I did! Believe me when I say you'll be seeing more pieces from this sweet little boutique in the very close future. Last time I stopped in Jenny and I found something for each of us.
San Francisco has been incredibly lush and green from all of the crazy rains we've been having. Not that I'm complaining...it makes an incredible back drop for photos. Unfortunately, the rains are back and there was even a hurricane warning for the surrounding area this morning. I don't know the next time we'll see blue skies. Don't let these photos fool you either, it was freezing cold and quite windy when we took these.  



I didn't think about it at the time, but when I was editing the photos I couldn't help but be reminded of Anne of Green Gables, one of my favorite films growing up. If you don't know the story, I'll let IMDB tell you... At the turn of the century on Prince Edward Island, Matthew Cuthbert and his sister Marilla decide to take on an orphan boy as help for their farm. But they get an unexpected jolt when they're mistakenly sent a girl instead: Anne Shirley. Anne's a dreamer with an unusual point of view, far removed from Marilla's pragmatic ways, and it's only on trial that Marilla agrees to keep Anne...if Anne can keep out of trouble, only Anne has a positive genius for it. As Anne falls into a series of scrapes (and off a roof), makes a bosom friend, searches (and finds) several kindred spirits, Matthew and Marilla discover that their lives have become a great deal richer, now that Anne is at Green Gables.  


Of course my favorite part of the film was the costumes! Long sleeves and high collared blouses paired back with high-waisted skirts and lace up boots. The petticoats, braids and bows are just the perfect finishing touches. The little butterfly necklace seemed just delicate enough for that turn of the century woman. I love the lacy cuffs and covered buttons at the wrist and neck. I felt like the shorts added a modern feel to such a fancy looking blouse, and couldn't wear them without the tights. I can't wait to wear this top again and again as it gets warmer, though it feels like the sun will never return . I hope every one else is staying warm and enjoying the coming of spring!




Sheer vintage white lace blouse: Minxy
High-waisted shorts: Thrifted
Butterfly neckace: Thrifted
Black boots: Thrifted


 
Don't forget to enter our Giveaway!

31 comments:

Karen :

Love the top and I agree with you - very Anne of Green Gables - even the color of your hair is perfect!!!

Such a great book. When I was young, my parents took me to see the house that inspired the story - such a treat!!

XOX,
Karen

www.rubytuesdayfashionanddesign.com

Rachel :

Your blouse is incredibly lovely; the lace is so beautiful and feminine. :D

Maria E. :

Your blouse is so very pretty; I absolutely love it! :)

Anne of Green Gables has been one of my favorite movies since I was 3...soooo good. :) Your look is so much like her, especially your hair! :)

xo,
Maria
www.uneasyimpressions.blogspot.com

Em :

I can see why you went wild for the blouse--it's gorgeous--I would have snapped it up in a second.

Carrie at La Rizada :

totally anne shirley, and gorgeous with what you paired it with! did you ever read the anne books? they were awesome, too, but not as fashion-inspiring as the movie, of course.

Stef / Diversions :

Wow - the lace detail is amazing. Looking gorgeous! :)

Ashley Ording :

Watch out, I might steal that pretty blouse right off your back! ;)

29 Skirts :

This is so pretty and cool. I love that you wore that gorgeous vintage blouse with shorts.

I was a major Anne fan, and I still watch Anne of Green Gables from time to time. I also loved the Road to Avonlea T.V. show and the Anne books, but yep, it was all about the costumes! I used to draw girls in Victorian/Edwardian dresses while lying on the floor watching.

islabell :

amazing! i love ann of green gables. That blouse is a stunner. Minxy, is that the new one on 24th? i walk right by it every time. I'll have to check it out. Great excuse to go to dynamo
xx

Eli :

this blouse is beautiful! it has this delicate almost victorian quality to it, LOVE it.

Knitful Dezigns :

I LOVE THIS :) anne of green gables was my favorite book when i was little! This is perfect :) you look gorgeous!!!

Jenni Wells :

Red Hair? Fantastic Vintage Style? YES PLEASE! These are gorgeous photos.

I really should check out the book. Thank you for the suggestion.

jenniwells.blogspot.com

Courtney :

Gorgeous outfit, that top is lovely xx

Steffy's Pro's and Con's :

that top is so precious!

<3 steffy
steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

Diana Dang :

love how you mixed the top with the shorts and tights!

www.thewallflowerstyle.blogspot.com

The Daily Fashionista :

Those were my favorite books growing up. Your post makes me want to dig in my parents attic to find those books and have a good read:) And your outfit is super cute!! That blouse in particular is a great vintage find!

Two Happy Hearts :

so, so, so cute!! i love that shirt. you pull it off so well ;) and to answer your question, my pup casey is almost 5 years old! we got him when he was just 5 months. how old is your pup?

oh, and i'm also super jealous of the green-ness in these photos. indiana is still quite grey!

Lauren :

Ooh! Those shorts are so cute. Perfect for spring! An Anne of Green Gables look, indeed.

Nicole✗✗ :

Ooo that is such a pretty outfit! I love it!!

Reg Rodriguez :

ooh! anne of green gables indeed! your vintage blouse is very very pretty :)

xx
heyrocketgirl

liz :

That blouse is stunning!

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) :

Again I am supremely jealous of your springy background! The detailing on your lace blouse is gorgeous and I like how you modernized the look by wearing it with shorts.

Emma Skye :

Really cute blog! And I love your outfit too xx

Kirstin@CrimsonRosella :

These are such gorgeous photos. It makes me really excited for sprng outfit photos when the snow is all melted!

Jenni :

Beautiful blouse--I definitely get the "Anne of Green Gables" vibe. San Francisco has such great vintage and thrifting. I'd like to go back there again just to shop at the thrift stores in the Mission!

GIRL AND CLOSET :

Amazing, that blouse is absolutely gorgeous -what a find! And it's beautifully styled with those shorts.

As for Anne of Green Gables, oh my goodness I was obsessed with those books when I was younger. xx veronika

Laura :

i love the whole outfit! and that top is so cute!!!!

-laura
http://thesemanyyears.blogspot.com

Bella :

Love this outfit! Perfect combination! :) You look amazing!

http://bellasstyle.blogspot.com

Marisa Violeta :

you have the most beautiful hair colour and you blouse is so marvellous. love everything about it.

Cara-Mia :

Annalise! I remember you from Livejournal/pen pal-ing days. :) You look so lovely - I'm so glad I found your blog! I loved Anne of Green Gables (as well as Anne of Avonlea and the whole Avonlea show) too! So many exclamation points! Haha.

Anjela :

ohhh that top is absolutely stunning on you! Love the photo shoot! :)