What We Love



1. Back to the Future
Irina Werning tells a story through powerful imagery. The series entitled "Back to the Future" bridges the past with the present by capturing the subject many years after the printing of the original photograph. Irina says, "I love old photos. I admit being a nosey photographer. As soon as I step into someone else’s house, I start sniffing for them. Most of us are fascinated by their retro look but to me, it’s imagining how people would feel and look like if they were to reenact them today... A few months ago, I decided to actually do this. So, with my camera, I started inviting people to go back to their future."-Jenny-


2. Vintage Suitcases
I started collecting vintage suitcases in 2005. I still have the first suitcase I purchased from The Bargain Barn in Santa Cruz, California for $1.00. It is a 1930's little gem in near perfect condition with brass latches and a cream exterior. Scattered around my apartment are an array of brightly colored suitcases filled with books, scarves, and vintage accessories. I not only appreciate the craftsmanship of the suitcases but also their versatility as a storage unit (which I desperately need for all of my goodies).-Jenny-

3. Mori Girl
Mori Girl is a type of Japanese Street Fashion meaning "forest girl." The curated look incorporates long skirts, thick vintage knits, folk pieces, and whimsical dresses. I find myself wearing many Mori-inspired pieces this season, particularly softer colors and floral skirts. Mori style is reminiscent of the TBA Edwardian-inspired dresses, don't you think? -Jenny-

4. 1940s Heels
At the recent Vintage Fashion Expo I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of black 1940s peep toe heels. They have the most adorable little triangle cut-outs and studs. I'm so happy that I was able to take these home for keeps, even though I will have to wait until the rain stops to wear them out. Now that I have a taste for these little gems I'm on the hunt for a more spring-like pair. Something in a light color, with bow or flowers would be ideal. I'm stalking ebay and etsy like a crazy lady, but can you blame me? -Annalise-

5. Elizabeth Taylor
What a strange coincidence that I just posted the beautiful photos of Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra and then get word that she had passed away. An actress in over 70 films and a two time Academy Award winner, Elizabeth was not only beautiful and talented but generous as well. She was a strong leading lady and though her personal affairs didn't always end well, she was always willing to speak publicly for AIDS awareness. One of my favorite quotes: "Some of my best leading men have been dogs and horses." She will be missed.  -Annalise-

6. Shae Acopian Detar on Style Like U




I've been reading Shae's blog for quite a while now and remember when she modeled for her own vintage store on ebay, Lullie Vintage. She is so beautiful and has the most gorgeous vintage style. Her husband is also super talented and together they make an amazing team. I also love Style Like U tv so I was really excited when Shae was given her own episode. Gorgeous!! -Annalise-

23 comments:

Jenni Wells :

I had never heard of Mori Girl before now. I am completely hooked!

jenniwells.blogspot.com

Monique :

Wow, these are so lovely. I saw that Back To The Future series in Anthology Magazine and just love it. I'm a huge fan of vintage suitcases. Great post ladies. I love these too.

Karen :

I also have a small collection of vintage suitcases!! They are so much fun to collect as I am constantly daydreaming about where the suitcases have been and with whom!!

XOX,
Karen

www.rubytuesdayfashionanddesign.blogspot.com

Steffys Pros and Cons :

i love vintage suitcases too! they remindm e of my grandpa :)


<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Em :

Wonderful picks this week! I can in all honesty say I love each and every one, especially the 40s shoes.

Megan Hattie :

I love the Mori Girl style, I had never heard of it before now either! It's like a more toned down but still intricate version of the wackier/harajuku japanese street style... love it! great picks!

Cheers!
--Megan//themartiantide.blogspot.com

LikeSpinningPlates :

Such lovely pics. I want those heels! ahh so cute <3

GretchTM :

These are beautiful!

Bubbs... :

The 'Back to the Future' feature is such a great photography idea! Thanks for sharing the link!

Bubbs...

www.paris-on-my-mind.blogspot.com

Renée :

Oh I love the now and then photos! Have a great weekend!

The Suburb Experiment :

Great picks! I love the 40's shoes. I have a few pairs but feel guilty wearing them for anything other than a special occasion because I don't want to ruin them!

Liz Taylor is so beautiful!!

Jenn

Rachel :

These are all awesome choices...especially Elizabeth Taylor.

gee :

i <3 mori girl style.
elizabeth taylor was such a beauty! she will be missed greatly.. :(
have a wonderful weekend beautiful girls!
xoox

floral skirts and teaparties :

Hey, thanks for your comment! I love your blog, following you :) xx

Annie :

I love concepts like the Back to the Future series...my high school did something like that for our senior yearbook! Also, I love those shoes!

Thanks for visiting me at The Stingy Stitcher!

Star-Light :

lovely post as always :)


http://starlightsworld.blogspot.com/

Rosy (of Raindrops on Rosy) :

Lovely things to love:)

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) :

I'm mad for vintage suitcases too, mine are a bit newer (mainly 60s/70s) and they serve as my main method of storage in my apartment. I really want to get a big ole' leather trunk at some point but they are so heavy!

Life by Wyetha :

I love this series it's fab.

Meghan :

aw yay for the bargain barn! I love those back to the future photos, I'm off to look at more and google mori girl ;)

happy weekend!

Nicole✗✗ :

Such a fabulous post!! I love vintage suitcases!!

Cara-Mia :

Ugh I really want a pair of vintage heels. I'm a size 5 & I hear it's not that hard to find old shoes that are the small.

are you dressing up or dressing down :

Beautfiul picks, have to agree with you on this. Thanks for the comment :).

Helen, X