What We Love


1. Basquiat
Jean-Michel Basquiat was a "controversial, charismatic artist". Matthew and I watched a fabulous documentary on the young artist a few days ago on Netflix: Watch Instantly. If you're able to get your hand on it, I really suggest seeing it. Basquiat was a friend of Andy Warhol, and he painted over 1000 painting before his early dearth at the age of 27. I feel like his inner child came out it in much of his work and I'm so inspired to let my inner child out too! -Annalise-

2. Tree Houses
 Do I even need to explain? When I was little my dad built me a play house in the back yard. It had carpet (nothing plush), shutters that opened and closed on the windows, a porch and even a working porch light! My sister and I would sometimes sleep in our sleeping bags out in the play house all night. We loved making forts and faerie houses in the woods. Now I live in an apartment in the city. I love it, but every now and then I dream of my very own secret tree house. Oh, and p.s. "I Have Built a Treehouse" by I'm From Barcelona is a really awesome song. -Annalise-


3. 1970s Dishes
Jenny and I both collect vintage kitchen wears. I'm so attracted to the 1970s colors and floral patterns on plates, bowls and other dishes. I have a set of 1970s mushroom mugs as well as a set of two small plates and matching bowls. My dad is a ceramic artist and many of our dishes were hand made by my dad. He has a wonderful, earthy vibe to much of his work in his use of clays and glazes. I feel like it melds really well with my 1970s thrifted sets of goodness. -Annalise-

4. Pull & Bear Spring 2011
Pull and Bear's Spring 2011 campaign incorporates my favorite things: nature, friendship, and summer. I would gladly wear any piece in their collection, particularly the ethereal dresses that are so perfect for the warmer weather. The soft focus and the dreamy 1970s vibe of the photographs harkens back to David Hamilton's work, don't you think? -Jenny-

5. Picnics and Vintage Picnic Baskets
Maybe I am already thinking ahead towards the Summer, but there is nothing better than a picnic filled with food, wine, and friends. Matty and I found a vintage picnic basket complete with a checkered blanket, plates, serving utensils, and cups at a local thrift stores many years ago. We frequently bring the basket out for impromptu lunch dates at Golden Gate Park. Sunday marks our first picnic of the season in honor of Matty's birthday. We can't wait! -Jenny-

6. Laura Ashley

I have a confession to make: I am a secret admirer of shabby chic. Laura Ashley has the best home decorations to fill this hidden obsession of mine. The pastel colors, frilly accent pieces, and vintage-inspired aesthetic are my favorite parts of her whimsical collections. My college apartment was a mish-mash of shabby chic and pastels. However, when Matt and I moved in together, I needed to concede some of my pastels and polka dots for a neutral palette. But I can still admirer Laura Ashley from afar (and I always love a vintage Laura Ashley dress!) -Jenny-

20 comments:

Victoria / Justice Pirate :

oh goodness I love tree houses soooo much. I recently found a photo of treehouses INDOORS for kids' bedrooms which amaze me as well!! goodness.

Steffys Pros and Cons :

I LOVE BASQUIAT! hes my favorite artist. i saw on of his pieces in a jazz museum in barcelona and literally cried!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

sarah nicole :

What a lovely list! I adore those 70's, ceramic style dishes. If I had anymore room in my cupboards, I'd collect them too. : )

xo,

Sarah

apurpledress :

I love tree houses. Me and my friends had a really awesome one where I was little. We painted the inside bright blue.

gee :

i love tree houses.
i always wanted one when i was younger but my father said i was to clumsy to have one. haha.
i guess he was afraid i would fall out of it!?!
have a wonderful weekend beautiful ladies.. <3
xoox

Rosy (of Raindrops on Rosy) :

Oh my goodness I think I may be in love with it all!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I loooove those tree houses. When I was a kid there was a meadow behind our orchard…yeah we totally live in Oregon…anyway well there were some huge trees there and there was the coolest tree house, but our mom never let us go in :( lame.

Ashley :

Wow, I am now in love with Pull and Bear! That floral head piece is beautiful, and I have a deep weakness for pretty face painting:) Thank you for sharing!

Lydia :

This post is so light and springy and summery. I have never heard of the artist at the very top, but those paintings you posted are amazing and right up my alley style wise. I will def be checking him out.

Amber Blue Bird :

Tree houses, yes please! I wish my backyard was bigger so I could build one but that will have to remain a dream for awhile longer.

Annebeth :

another great set of loves! treehouses, YES I want to live in one! and on a boat as well.

Jenni Wells :

Basquiat's work is really interesting. I'm off to learn more! What was the documentary called?

jenniwells.blogspot.com

Maria Ramona :

I'm a big Basquiat fan too and the Julian Schnabel movie about him is one of my favorites ever. Great soundtrack and great acting. Not sure if I've sen this documentary so will have to netflix it ASAP!

Hello Again Vintage :

Fun list! I love them all...but most of all, TREEHOUSES. I've always wanted one and am making it a point to one day have one in my yard. I don't think you can get too old to have a treehouse.


Grace

www.helloagainvintage.blogspot.com

Lucy, Dear Fish :

Well helllooo ladies! It was so lovely to meet you both last week! I really hope Jen's poison oak has disappeared and all is well and wonderful.
Tree houses and Laura Ashley are the bomb diggity.

Nicole✗✗ :

I love Laura Ashley as well!!

Rachel :

I always wanted a tree house when I was a kid. These look awesome. :D

Megan Hattie :

I love Basquiat too! do you mean The Radiant Child doc? I think there might be more than one. But I really loved it, and saw a great huge retrospective exhibit of his work in Paris, it was lovely.

Cheers!
--Megan//The Martian Tide

Annie, Time Enough for Drums :

I love 1970s kitchenware! (I've definitely seen those plates in a thrift before!) I have some awesome ones with mustard yellow edging. I'll never get rid of them.

Cheray Natalie... :

gorgeous <3
I love tree houses & vintage dishes - even more the fact that your dad made many of your dishes!
I'm planning a picnic in the park for tomorrow - hopefully the weather holds up! I found a vintage picnic basket (but not with all the goodies like your one!) & have been waiting for a chance to use it
x

Stef / Diversions :

My play house had a porch as well. I think it's because I only drew houses with porches when I was little so my Dad knew my back garden dream home had to have one :)

Whou could resist a tree house?