I Am Grateful


I've got to let you know that I'm not the most tech savvy person you'll ever meet. I was probably one of the last people on earth to get a cell phone, and then I held on to that baby for years, only recently upgrading to a Blackberry. I don't really need a lot of fancy gadgets and doodads on my phone, just let me text and talk and I'm happy. Well, last month Matthew got a new iPhone and I must admit I'm a tad jealous of all the fun stuff he can do with it. One of his favorite things to play with is the Hipstamatic Camera app. He has been bugging me to do a purely iPhone photoshoot for a while now, so today when we went out for lunch I let him have his wish. I think it turned out really fun! I was really excited to wear my new striped top from the Swapaholics Swap I went to with Ashley last week. (You'll get to hear more about that on Wednesday.) I just love the little buttons near the collar, as well as the soft muted colors and light weight material. It's slightly cropped so I wore a pair of high waisted jeans with it, but I'm also looking forward to wearing it tucked into skirts in the future. 

For lunch on the gloriously warm Sunday, we walked a few blocks from our house to a lovely little place called Cafe Gratitude. I had gone there for the first time with work last week, thought it was great and wanted to share it with Matthew too. Café Gratitude is a restaurant specializing in 100% organic vegan, gourmet raw and cooked cuisines. I've been a vegetarian for over ten years now, but Matthew is a meat eater to the core. I was super happy to learn that he loved his meal of corn tamale, beans and spicy Mexican coleslaw. I had the "BLT" in which the bacon is actually sautéed maple coconut strips. Can we say delicious?! I topped it all off with a raw cacao "milkshake". Each item on the menu is an affirmation of self with titles such as "I Am Worthy" or "I Am Vibrant". Matthew had "I Am Trusting" while I went with "I Am Extraordinary". I wish I had gotten some pictures of our food before we cleaned our plates. But I guess that just means we'll have to go back when my sister, who's vegan, comes to visit us in a couple weeks. 

Jeans: thrifted Cheap Monday
Shoes: Miz Mooz
Bag: thrifted Dooney and Bourke
Necklace: H&M


P.S. I am grateful for all of you! All of your comments and sweet messages really bring a smile to my face and make me appreciate this incredible community of kind, smart, and beautiful ladies. XOXO

31 comments:

Louise, Raspberries In Winter :

Love the backpack!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys :

I think they did turn out really well, and that shirt is kind of everything I'd like right now. Simple but detailed and a great colour.

One question: Are both of you with guys called Matthew? I'm a bit confused about who Matthew is, and also where he is! I've been reading for several months but I must have missed the explanation. ; )

Jo :

Your striped shirt is divine and I love the cute backpack! Be sure to enter my £100 ASOS giveaway!

x
Lost in the Haze

Jo :

Your striped shirt is divine and I love the cute backpack! Be sure to enter my £100 ASOS giveaway!

x
Lost in the Haze

Danielle V. :

An iPhone photoshoot? Great idea! Your outfit is so sweet. It looks really comfortable and so nice! That restaurant sounds amazing - would love to see photos during your next trip!
Best,
Danielle
loveandlookpretty.blogspot.com

Rebeccak :

So you braved the elbows Ashley worte about! Nice score - totally worth it!

I love these photos too - great colours :)

Steffys Pros and Cons :

i LOVE the edges of the photos and i love this shoot :)

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

AnnaBananaCupcake :

Emily, you question makes me laugh so much because yes, Jenny and I both have boyfriend's named Matthew. We have often wondered what some readers may think when each of us talks about our Matt's. We even sometimes call ourselves SisterWives as a joke, especially when I'm over at her house blogging while her Matt makes us dinner. That won't happen again until they are both back from their summer travels, which I can't wait for since I miss my sister wife so much! *wink* Sorry for any confusion. XOXO

Christy :

You sound just like me when it comes to cell phones! I didn't get my first one until college (and then, only at my parents' insistence, because I was doing a lot of traveling). I still just have a dinky little flip phone, but I can totally see the appeal of the iPhone! As much as I insist that I don't need anything fancy, all those apps (especially the camera ones) are pretty neat.

I love your top! The muted colors look so nice on you, and I'm curious to see how the top looks tucked into a skirt.

Cafe Gratitude sounds completely amazing. The whole concept is really different, and the food sounds delicious. I've been toying with the idea of going veg for a while, and I think I really need to put in some research and go for it. <3

Em :

I'm sort of the same way with technology and really resist upgrades if what I have works. When I finally was forced to get a new phone, the people at the store laughed at me (in a good-natured way as they had never seen a phone so old). I like the Iphone shoot and the swapped top is terrific. I had also wondered about the Matts...

Vanessa, Take only Memories :

I absolutely love Hipstamatic! I use it all the time!

And you look lovely! Very cute backpack!

Mimi :

That "BLT" sounds amazing and your pictures are awesome. I really love the style of the photos! I'm grateful for so many things. My family, friends, and my ability to do what I love;)

Many Layers Monday

Wyetha :

Jeans and a top + that's my kinda of outfit + comfy + simple.

Wyetha

SoFashionistica :

These pictures came out great! I like that striped top and the hair feather looks awesome! I want those myself but I'm not sure if it will fly working at a conservative bank.

SomeoneLikeYou :

My boyfriend recently got an iphone, as well and it makes me horribly jealous... Like you I'm one of the least tech savvy people on earth and have one of the oldest phones that I've kept for years. The good thing about our boyfriend's having iphones is that we get to play with them, hehe :)

Dresses for Dinner :

What a great top and backpack!

GG :

Yea! I'm glad you like Gratitude! I have to say too - that I'm grateful for you! I'm recalling the time you took me out to lunch and introduced me to tofu and other vegetarian ways. Years later, I'm working at Cafe Gratitude (that one!) as practicing vegetarian and stretching into vegan. I've never felt better and been having so much fun with food. Thanks for opening that door for me to begin exploring. You're amazing.

jesse.anne.o :

I dig this shirt and that necklace.

My friend went to Cafe Gratitude while visiting the area and was mortified at the ordering process. Sounds delicious though.

chocolatefashioncoffee :

great necklace!

chocolatefashioncoffee.blogspot.com

Maria Ramona :

i am totally the same way about technology-- a late (or never)adopter for sure. i will have to show you my cell phone one of these days. it's the antithesis to an iphone. looking forward to hanging out soon!

Jenni Wells :

I've been hearing about that ap recently. It's super awesome! I love how these photos turned out. I feel the same way about technology. I'm not sure if I'll ever own a smart phone. My husband is into all of that so at least I have a person to ask my silly questions too.

Lady Cherry :

I am grateful just for being here, having a roof over my head, and having such lovely friends and family. Cheesy I know, but true :) x

Amber Blue Bird :

I want to get an iphone specifically to play around with this app

KaNini's :

I want your backpack! It's so cute! :)
xx,K.

gee :

oh i need an iphone..i am always jealous of everyone's!
you are so lovely Annalise..i love how these pictures turned out.
i am grateful to have found your blog and be blogging friends with you and jenny!!! <3

Annebeth :

food that makes you feel good about yourself as well as good in the belly? AWESOME :-D I'm a total n00B when it comes to phones etc myself, I have this crappy old nokia I got because I liked the way it looked, 5 or so years ago, and it can't even take pictures: just messaging and phoning :D love the iphone pics tho!

Megan Hattie :

Nice iPhone pics! Love your striped tops, especially the buttons at the shoulder :)

cheers,
--Megan//The Martian Tide

blakejacobsen :

I am so in love with your bag! You look amazing, as always.

// THE STYLE MANUAL

Kathleen :

Oh man, I am salivating at your description of Cafe Gratitude. It's not too far from my work either, so I may have to try it out.

Lydia :

I love the look of these pics. It's amazing what a phone can do these days.

SoapyMermaid :

so these shots were taken by Matthew's i-phone? I think they're great photos; I love them. your shirt is very beautiful. I really love the fabric.