Sunday Sounds: Screamin' Jay Hawkins

Screamin' Jay Hawkins was an American musician, singer, and actor who made records from the late 1950s until his death in 2000. He is most well known for his theatrical performance of songs like "I Put A Spell on You", my personal favorite. It's a Halloween playlist must have! The entire band was drunk during the recording of this song and Hawkins was so out of it that he blacked out and didn't remember the recording session. It gained attention for his screaming and guttural noises, and some radio stations even refused to play it because of the overt sexuality. The record label released a second version fo the single and removed most of the grunts that had embellished the original performance. Screamin' Jay Hawkins outfits included gold and leopard skin costumes and lots of voodoo stage props. I guess that would make him one of the original shock rockers.  
sjh vodoo

6 comments:

Yoshi :

Wow! I have a couple of his songs (they were on a compilation CD I bought) and I was listening to one today, actually... I'm not a huge fan, but he does have an incredible voice!

Sharmaine Ruth :

Haha I wonder why I haven't heard of him before! I'm definitely going to look into him more :) He looks very interesting!

<3 Sharmaine Ruth
underpeachtrees.blogspot.com

J. Feline :

He has a pretty memorable role in the movie Mystery Train...interesting performer for sure!

Nichole :

So much better than the typical Monster Mash fare!

Stela :

He's so fancy! I love that song!

rose brown. :

I love Screamin' Jay! He's my main man.