Traditions


1
2
4
5
One of my favorite winter activities is making applesauce and canning it for later months. It's been nearly four years since I started this tradition with Matthew and his mother. With over 75 pounds of apples, we peel, core, and slice every last one. After the initial cutting, a mixture of sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon are some of the special ingredients for its syrup, all of which are canned in an airtight mason jar. Pictured above are some of our finished products, all made with love! We canned over 70 jars this year, many of which will be handed out to friends and family during the holiday season.

11 comments:

Arielle :

What a cool tradition!

-Arielle
www.humblepievintage.com

Q's Daydream :

Love this! I have applesauce almost everyday :O)

Lydia :

Aww, what a lovely tradition.

Amber :

thats a brilliant tradition and yummy too.

Disturbed Style :

Great photos! :) I love it :)

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) :

What a lovely tradition! Do you pick the apples too? I need to get into canning/making preserves as produce in Chicago during the winter is not very tasty.

Gorgeous photos of the process too, I've been wanting to find a vintage apple corer/peeler.

Monique :

this is such a great gift. my husband and i have a similar tradition except we make apple butter. so awesome...we must try apple sauce some time

Hybrid Hunter :

Very cool! Great photos too.

--Izumi
Hybrid Hunter

lucia m :

love the first photo!


www.aroundlucia.com
www.aroundlucia.com
www.aroundlucia.com

Kathleen :

Yum! I was actually eating an apple when I decided to check the blog. How funny!

percentblog :

Making applesauce is actually a summer time event for me. Winter seems like a much nicer time to do it, but my grandmother's recipe calls for Lodi apples which are only available in July. It makes a wonderful tart sauce.

And I follow her method of freezing the applesauce, to avoid having to do additional canning in the middle of summer!